Amplifying citizen’s voices and participation
The aim of Giving for Change – part of the Dutch government’s ‘Power of Voices’ programme – is to foster local giving as an expression of voice, civic participation, solidarity and dissent. The five-year programme will be implemented in Brazil, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Mozambique, Palestine and Uganda, and is led by a consortium of four organizations: the Africa Philanthropy Network, Kenya Community Development Foundation, GFCF and Wilde Ganzen. The programme will build evidence around new thinking, approaches and leadership that support community philanthropy development.
The programme will concentrate on strengthening rights and claiming capacities of communities in relation to public government structures. Specifically, it challenges power dynamics and establishes more equitable practices within the international development system itself.
EAPN in partnership with Kenya Community Development Foundation (KCDF), Civil Society Reference Group, and the Institute of Public Finance Kenya, are undertaking three main activities:
- Formation of local Communities of Practice (CoPs) that will bring together a diverse range of Civil Society Actors (CSAs),
- Influence in-country national state and societal actors (government, emerging philanthropists, individual donors) to support an enabling environment for community philanthropy and,
- Partner with international development actors to promote the development of community philanthropy as a central pillar of broader efforts to shift power and resources closer to the ground.
The Giving for Change Alliance
The Giving for Change Alliance is led by the Africa Philanthropy Network, Global Fund for Community Foundations, Kenya Community Development Foundation and Wilde Ganzen Foundation working with the following anchor partners:
- Brazil: Rede de Filantropia para a Justica Social (The Brazilian Network for Social Justice Philanthropy), CESE
- Burkina Faso: Association Burkinabé de Fundraising (ABF)
- Ethiopia: Development Expertise Center (DEC)
- Ghana: STAR Ghana Foundation, West Africa Civil Society Institute (WACSI)
- Kenya: Kenya Community Development Foundation (KCDF, also consortium member)
- Mozambique: Micaia Foundation
- Palestine: Dalia Association Uganda: Uganda National NGO Forum (UNNGOF)